Kilkenny is a city in south-east part of Ireland and the county town of County Kilkenny. It is on both banks of the River Nore in the province of Leinster. The city is administered by a Borough Council and a Mayor which is a level below that of city council in the Local government of the state although the Local Government Act 2001 allows for "the continued use of the description city". The boroughs population is 8,711, but the majority live outside the borough boundary: the 2011 Irish Census gives the total population of the Borough and Environs as 24,423. Kilkenny is a popular tourist destination. In 2009 the City of Kilkenny celebrated its 400th year since the granting of city status in 1609. Though referred to as a city, Kilkenny is the size of a large town relative to Irish urban population centres. Kilkennys heritage is evident in the town and environs including the historic buildings such as Kilkenny Castle, St. Canices Cathedral and round tower, Rothe House, Shee Alms House, Black Abbey, St. Marys Cathedral, Kilkenny Town Hall, St. Francis Abbey, Graces Castle, and St. Johns Priory. Kilkenny is well known for its culture with craft and design workshops, the Watergate Theatre, public gardens and museums. Annual events include Kilkenny Arts Festival, the Cat Laughs comedy festival and music at the http://kilkennyroots.com Kilkenny Roots Festival and the Source concert. It is a popular base for exploring the surrounding towns, villages and countryside. Controversy exists at the moment around the Kilkenny Central Access Scheme which is a road proposed to be built through the town centre. Kilkenny began with an early sixth century ecclesiastical foundation within the kingdom of Ossory. Following Norman invasion of Ireland, Kilkenny Castle and a series of walls were built to protect the burghers of what became a Norman merchant town. William Marshall, Lord of Leinster, gave Kilkenny a charter as a town in 1207. By the late thirteenth century Kilkenny was under Norman-Irish control. The Statutes of Kilkenny passed at Kilkenny in 1367, aimed to curb the decline of the Hiberno-Norman Lordship of Ireland. In 1609 King James I of England granted Kilkenny a Royal Charter giving it the status of a city. Following the Rebellion of 1641, the Irish Catholic Confederation, also known as the "Confederation of Kilkenny", was based in Kilkenny and lasted until the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland in 1649. Kilkenny was a famous brewing centre from the late seventeenth century, and houses multiple breweries still. In the late twentieth century Kilkenny is a tourist and creative centre. The Heritage Council offices are at Church Lane. The seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Ossory is at St. Marys Cathedral and the Church of Ireland Bishop of Cashel and Ossory is at St. Canices Cathedral. Nearby larger cities include Waterford south-southeast, Limerick west and Dublin northeast.